Make Development Your Business: Developing Employees Every Day While Getting Results -One Day Workshop
“I absolutely love doing this; I look forward to coming to work every day.” and “It makes my job easier when people have the confidence and skills to solve problems themselves.” and “Your people promote you when you develop them.”
Imagine your managers equipped with know-how to generate impressive gains in workforce capabilities, tucking developmental practices into their management routines without adding more work to their load. Aligning your managers’ developmental actions with department goals, results in both increased employee skills and greater performance results.
This hands-on workshop cuts to the heart of what it takes for managers to develop employees so they can take on more complex and bigger assignments, while requiring less supervision. Your managers will no longer need to choose between driving for performance OR developing employees. Managers will learn the magic of applying three specific Exceptional Development Practices using case studies, small group discussion, peer coaching, and tools. They will leave the workshop with a plan to immediately apply this manager-driven, performance-centered development with their employees.
As a result of workshop involvement, participants will:
- Increase ability to develop others that go well beyond typical coaching and performance management.
- Apply the behaviors in their daily routine that “makes every day a development day” for their employees
- Gain insight into unlocking the deeper aspects of employee development for more significant growth rather than incremental performance improvement
- Shape their work environment to drive development for their entire work team
- Use hands-on activities to plan for immediate action with their employees
- Introduction: Your role in driving employee development.
Unwinding myths about what employees really need to develop; The benefits accrued by managers who develop their people every day: and, Three practices used by managers who develop their people significantly while getting results
- Exceptional Development Manager Practice: Make every day a development day.
Shaping work assignments to make development happen as part of assignments; Creating the most effective stretch assignments for each individual, and Seizing developmental moments to sharpen and reinforce learning
- Exceptional Development Manager Practice: Use psychology to help employees take their skills to new levels.
Cultivating relationships that increase employees receptivity to feedback and willingness to take developmental risks; and, Developmental conversations that help employees build self awareness to breakthrough their blind spots
- Exceptional Development Manager Practice: Shape your environment to drive development.
Establishing a developmental culture; Creating abundant opportunities for development in the daily workplace for everyone; and, Using resources from outside your department for employee development.
- Wrap up: Take action to put your developmental behaviors into place.
Building your own skills to help others’ grow theirs and, Identifying specific near term opportunities to work with employee(s)
Personal planning template to tailor their application of the Exceptional Development Manager practices, and a copy of the book “Make Talent Your Business: How Exceptional Manager Develop Their People While Getting Results.”
Feedback from participants, after the workshop:
“In a meeting with my staff, I resisted the temptation to solve a customer service problem myself. Instead, I requested that my staff conduct research and come back with a solution. I found a new, more developmental approach right in the path of my daily work.” Manager, Global Packaging Firm
“The change has been remarkable… achieved through developing a simple habit within the management team. We take advantage of any available opportunity for development…. we do less tasks and more coaching and delegation. We have started to create a development cultures”… Regional Store Director, Leading National Retailer
“Even though I have been managing for years, learning to tap the psychological side of development with my people (who are supervisors) is a huge learning for me. I find myself fully prepping for discussions especially focusing on questions which will help their self insights.” VP Sales, Pharmaceutical
This one day program is brought into your organization. Alternatively, managers may attend public offerings.